What are galactagogues?
In very basic terms, galactagogues are substances that promote lactation.
Galactagogues, used in addition to regular, complete emptying of the breasts, can often help "boost" your milk supply. There are many options out there, from supplements in capsule form, to teas, bars, and cookies.
Oats are one of the most commonly used galactagogues because they are delicious and can be used in a variety of ways. Flax seed is also another favorite of mine because it can be added easily to a variety of foods. You can sprinkle it on yogurt, into salads...you name it!
My favorite galactagogue recipes:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoon flax seed (ground or whole seed)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1.5 cups almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
Blend all ingredients until smooth in blender and drink up!
Morning Milk-Boosting Oatmeal (serves 3-4)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 medium-large banana smashed really well
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seed
- optional toppings: nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, chocolate chips...get creative! (My favorite is cinnamon with the bananas in this recipe).
- Smash the banana until it resembles a puree.
- Add the water to a pot on the stove and whisk in the banana.
- Add the oats to the water and THEN turn on the stove to medium-high. As soon as the oatmeal comes to a simmer, turn heat to low.
- Cook until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally. (Takes less than 10 minutes).
- Turn off heat and stir in flax seed.
- Serve into bowls and add toppings of choice!